Two lessons I learnt last month:
- The time you spend away from your stash is directly proportionate to the quantity of makeup you buy. The longer your trip, the more you buy.
- The quantity of makeup you pack on a trip (see what I packed here) is inversely proportionate to the quantity of makeup you buy. So the less you pack, the more you will buy.
I swear I did not mean to buy so much. In fact, I believed most of my shopping was completed after one trip to Oxford St. and two to Boots (four palettes, four foundations and nine lipsticks).
But Sephora in Rome had a whopping 20% flat discount sale for three days. The equivalent of the VIB sale - my bill only came up to three digits. What makeup addict would not want to plunge in?
To top it all, many high-end makeup brands are cheaper in Europe than elsewhere...
Here is my mid-year makeup haul - excluding hair/skincare and nail polish - from the UK and Europe.
First, the eyeshadows/palettes (18, including small trios). I took along only a tiny GWP palette and a little duo and was tired of them very quickly, so I lost my head. The first four were on my wishlist, but the ones from Rome were cheer-me-ups after a long day's work.
Here are the four palettes I picked up from the UK:
Because of the 20%-off sale in Sephora (one of these is from Duty-Free), I got these:
Guess my favourite?
I also got three MUFE shadow sticks, which are buried somewhere on my table and therefore could not pose for photographs.
Secondly, 12 foundations. Again, I may have lost my head because I only packed about 8ml of foundation and ran out in a couple of weeks.
I only bought Cargo, NARS, UD and Giorgio Armani in the UK. The rest of it was ALL the Sephora sale's fault.
Guess my favourite?
Unfortunately, two of these foundations are too dark for me (Collistar and Diorskin). Getting matched in different countries reveals people's perceptions of different skin colours! More about that another time.
Now for the lippies (23). The Chanel and Charlotte Tilbury SAs insisted that I move away from dusty rose and try out some coral-browns, so I experimented a bit on this trip.
Nine of these were from the UK. The rest? Discounted by 20%. Multiple-buys not pictured.
Both Barry M's are back-ups of the TMLP lipstick I love (reviewed here). The Too Faced Melted is a backup of Fig. The first one I bought "disappeared mysteriously". So has Melted Chihuahua - I swear I bought both in April.
See some new brands in there? I will talk about Italian brands later. Note the Soap & Glory Mother Pucker Lipstick - my favourite of this lot!
I did not buy blushes or bronzers, though I did think about the Dior Tie Dye blushes. I got two lippies from the collection instead. I get a Cargo blush as a GWP from House of Fraser.
I also picked up two concealers (not pictured - one is CT, the other is buried among my belongings), just the ONE mascara, a Benefit blotting stick and a Laura Mercier set - the latter was on offer in Selfridges.
Electricals (4) next. I bought my first curler, but had to buy a straightener as well because I had forgotten to pack my Conair. I also bought a Philips Lumea Precision Plus hair removal kit and a Clarisonic Mia 2 (OMG HOW did I live without it so long?) and enough brush-heads to last me for a couple of years.
Finally, the regrets:
- Not buying the Too Faced No Filter Selfie set. The SA insisted I could pull it off, but the lavender scared me.
- I fell for some SAs' advice and bought two darker foundations - and don't know what to do with them.
- WHY didn't I buy all the Wycon, Kiko, Debby and Collistar products ever? What brilliant brands those Italians have!
- I bought a "Kruidvat coconut" conditioner from a drugstore in Belgium and used it up - see it here. BEST conditioner in the history of the world, and I'll probably never see it again :(
- Should have bought 30 tubes of Soap & Glory Mother Pucker lippie in Perfectly Bare. Each time I wear it, I get compliments. I only found two in two different Boots outlets and bought both.
Skincare is for another post. They had 3-for-2 at Boots - and 20% off in Sephora Italy - so the skincare products I bought will not fit in here. They also had 5-for-£20 at Nails Inc. 'Nuff said.