Now that my skincare routine has been revamped by my new dermatologist (who won my loyalty when he told me the benefits of makeup) to include acid toning and clarifying facial oils, I have a host of new products in my regimen. When I went to stay with my grandparents recently after Gramps had medical appointments and Gran's sugar levels dropped, the challenge was to pack as lightweight as possible so as not to arrive with a freight train in tow, at the same time retain my multi-step regimen.
Scroll down for travel beauty bag packing trips for acne-prone skin.
This looks like a LOT. But most of these are sample-sized. And it all fits in an 8'' Lancome GWP bag.
1. Do not pick structured bags or cases for your beauty products.
Slouchy bag equals pliant; you can stuff more in there. I've tried both and the latter wins. This is a Lancome GWP measuring 8'' x 6'', and it holds everything you see in the photo above.
2. If you use acid for chemical exfoliation, get sachets instead of cartloading an AHA and a BHA bottle each.
I use BHA in the mornings and AHA at night. These CosRx samples are from Wishtrend. Take only the number of sachets you require.
3. For facial peeling pads, get boxes that come with individually packed pads.
Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel comes in jars as well as in individual packing. The latter is a better choice for travel, though more expensive.
4. Bath and body care: 50ml body moisturiser will see you through twice-daily-for-a-week.
- Hang on to hotel toiletries. The Rausch body wash sachet is from a hotel in Geneva; the Dove body wash is from some hotel somewhere.
- If you use moisturise immediately after a shower, you only need less.
- In lieu of foot creams, I opted for foot masks. More convenient.
I have try-me kits from Alpha-H, Pai and Sonya Dakkar, so that's my double cleansing samples taken care of. The Aesop was a GWP but I'm saving it for a one-day trip.
6. Sunblock: Half-used tubes you can chuck on the last day of your trip.
I tend to transfer sunblock tubes to my travel bag once they are more than half-empty. Reduces weight that way. This is NOT applicable if you are on a beach holiday or plan to soak up the sun; you will need more.
7. Dedicated acne products: Pack spot treatment, acne-toner, gels/lotions and emergency acne patches.
I moved a tube of dapsone gel (prescription acne treatment) to my travel bag once it was half-empty. I also use a second-step dedicated acne control toner after acid toning. The rest are Korean acne treatment samples.
- Pai's Bioaffinity Skin Tonic and Jurlique Rosewater Mist are moisturising sprays that you can use for a quick fix through the day.
- I also have a packet of hydrocolloidal plasters for emergency breakouts.
- The Zymogen fermented products are part of my Korean regimen. Centella Asiatica extract seriously helps control my breakouts.
9. Makeup removal: Take six extra cotton pads and 10 extra Q-tips than the number of days required.
You'll end up using more. Yes, I've given up facial wipes for now. I pack micellar water samples and eye makeup remover pads in sachets in lieu of bi-phase bottles.
10. Facial oils: 1-2ml samples are good for a week.
I ask for these as GWPs when I invest in the full size. A little goes a loooong way so they will last a week or more. Both these are from Odacite. I use the sensitive oil in the morning and the hyperpigmentation one at night.
11. Makeup: Dual-ended brushes; a pouch for your Beautyblender; samples; ONE palette.
- I stuff four double-ended eyeshadow brushes into a pouch for a week-long trip - presuming there is no time to clean. One of these can double as a concealer brush.
- The pink pouch (from Bourjois) holds my Beautyblender. No fears of squishing or spillage.
- Dedicated anti-acne foundation from Oxygenatic, primer, Tarte loose powder and Nars concealer with a Sigma brush for the loose powder comprise my face makeup. No blush, it will draw attention to the acne.
- Just the one palette - Becca Ombre Rouge - containing five neutrals, mini mascara, dual-ended eyeliner, brow gel, eye primer and three lipsticks.