Measuring a massive 1'5''x12''x 6'', the Holiday 2016 LookFantastic Advent Calendar, titled Beauty Secret Vol. 2, is a heavy white and rose-gold box packed with 26, not 25, beauty products.
The 2015 LookFantastic Advent Calendar, reviewed here, measured 14''x11''x6'' in contrast. It was a white and yellow-gold box.
Because of last year's success, the 2016 LookFantastic Advent Calendar sold out on pre-order a full 24 hours BEFORE its scheduled launch date. I had posted spoilers here.
No way can I wait until advent. The box arrived; it was unboxed within minutes, as I hinted.
WARNING: Do NOT scroll down if you are avoiding spoilers. I have photos of everything below.
Scroll down for the contents and review of the LookFantastic Beauty Secret Vol. 2 Advent Calendar for Holiday 2016.
The orange on the external box in the photo above shows how ginormous this edition is. Let's talk about the packaging for a minute. This one is, as I said before, gargantuan. Rose gold. Stunningly pretty.
The Liberty Advent Calendar (Liberty dept store ships everything worldwide except for their advent calendar, of course) costs £150, and is even bigger. LookFantastic's version is half the price, and contains five full-sized products.
The contents of the LookFantastic Beauty Secret Advent Calendar for 2016:
- Pixi Glow Tonic 15ml
- Moroccanoil Treatment 25ml
- Christophe Robin Regenerating Mask 50ml
- Rituals The Ritual of Sakura Magic Touch Body Cream 70ml
- This Works Sleep Plus Pillow Spray 5ml
- Codage Paris Micro-Peeling Mask 15ml
- Redken One United Multi-Benefit Treatment 30ml
- Balance Me Wonder Eye Cream 7ml
- FOREO Luna Play (full size)
- FOREO Day Cleanser 15ml
- Molton Brown Pink Pepperpod Body Wash 100ml
- Wella OR Oil Reflections Shampoo 50ml
- Ojon Damage Reverse Hair Serum 15ml
- Origins Ginzing Energy Boosting Moisturiser 30ml
- REN Revitalising Night Cream 15ml
- Ole Henriksen Clean Truth Cleansing Cloths (10)
- Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant 13g
- Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse 10ml
- Look Good Feel Better Eye Shading Brush (full size)
- Bellapierre Gel Eyeliner Ebony 1.5g
- Nudestix Lip & Cheek Pencil and sharpener (full size)
- Pur Minerals Impact+ Mascara 3.4g
- Illamasqua Eye Shadow Palette (full size)
- Ardell Wispies lashes (full size)
- Monuskin BB Cream Illuminating Primer spf15 25ml
- Inika Loose Mineral Blush 3g
Comparison of LookFantastic Advent Calendars 2015 and 2016
- Last year, the crowning glory - forgive the pun - was a Tangle Teezer behind the 25th window.
- This year, it is an exclusive Illamasqua eyeshadow palette made for this advent calendar alone.
- Last year, there were seven makeup, five hair care, four bath &body, four mask/cleansing, and five skincare products.
- This year, there are eight makeup products, four skincare, five hair care, four mask and five bath & body products.
- Last year's edition measured 14''x11''x6''.
- This year's is bigger, at 1'5''x12''x6''.
- Last year's drugstore brands included Rimmel and Lord & Berry.
- This year, they have Bellapierre and Look Good Feel Better.
- There are 26 products this year, because the Foreo Luna Play comes with a cleanser.
- Last year's Advent Calendar sold out within two weeks of its launch - there was no pre-order.
- This year, there was a pre-order (you could make bookings, but shipping and money deduction would come later), with the launch date being November 1. The calendar sold out a full 24 hours BEFORE November 1.
- Both editions were priced at £70.
- Last year's version was valued at £250.
- This year's has been pegged at £300.
- Both editions have six products that were featured in the LookFantastic beauty boxes before.
- In both years, they've included a Moroccanoil, a Christophe Robin Prickly Pear masque, a 100ml Molton Brown shower gel (fragrance has varied), and a Nudestix Lip and Cheek Pencil (shade varied).
Without entirely spoiling advent for you, here are the contents in photographs. Once advent commences, I'll update these with close-ups, I promise.
VerdictLookFantastic has not only stayed consistent; they've actually gone and IMPROVED on last year's advent calendar. More full-sizes. An even more awesome selection of products. More makeup. Even better brands.
The Foreo Luna Play costs £29, while the Illamasqua exclusive palette is £35. Now the calendar is £70 and contains 26 products. Money well spent, innit?
There aren't that many repeats from the LookFantastic beauty boxes - Christophe Robin's Prickly Pear hair mask has put in a previous appearance; but I want to repurchase it and costs are prohibitive, so you can send me these in every box. You also get the LGFB makeup brushes turning up once in a while now.
This advent calendar is, as I said, sold out, but here is a selection of currently-available beauty advent calendars that ship worldwide. Of these, I highly recommend the Feelunique Magic of Beauty Advent Calendar because of the brands and the price point of £30.
The LookFantastic Beauty Box (ships worldwide) also makes the perfect year-long beauty treat and is priced at £11.25 (£15 for just the one month).
Stay peeled - I'll tell you as soon as the 2017 one is available for pre-order, and will be making one of the earliest bookings myself.
For other fun makeup posts this week, go here.